Acceptable Use Policy
1. Geneseo.Net Internet services may only be used for lawful purposes. Geneseo.Net Internet services may not be used to transmit or store any material of any nature that is, in Geneseo.Net’s sole discretion, unlawful, obscene, threatening, abusive, libelous, or hateful, or that encourages conduct that would violate any local, state, national or international law or regulation. Without limiting the general nature of the foregoing prohibition, Geneseo.Net Internet services may not be used to transmit or store any material protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret, patent or other intellectual property laws without the express consent of the owner of such material. Geneseo.Net may, at its discretion, block or remove any prohibited material(s) from its system.
2. Customers must provide accurate billing information to Geneseo.Net. This requirement shall be ongoing and it shall be each individual Customer’s responsibility to up-date such billing information as necessary to keep it current. Without limiting Geneseo.Net’s ability to terminate a Customer’s service for any violation of any term or condition of this Acceptable Use Policy, the provision of inaccurate information or data, including without limitation the fraudulent use of credit card numbers, on any form, contract or online application, shall be grounds for immediate termination of a Customer’s service, and may subject the Customer to civil or criminal liability.
3. Customers may not resell Geneseo.Net Internet services without the prior written consent of Geneseo.Net.
4. Customers may not attempt to circumvent user authentication or security of any host, network, or account (i.e., “cracking” activities). Without limiting the general nature of the foregoing prohibition, “cracking” includes accessing data not intended for the Customer, logging into a server or account the Customer is not expressly authorized to access, or probing the security of other networks in any manner. Geneseo.Net will cooperate fully with investigations of violations of systems or network security at any Geneseo.Net or third party sites, including cooperating with law enforcement authorities in the investigation of suspected criminal violations.
5. Customers may not attempt to interfere with service to any user, host, or network (i.e., “denial of service attacks”). Without limiting the general nature of the foregoing prohibition, “denial of service attacks” include “flooding” networks, deliberate attempts to overload a service, and attempts to “crash” a host.
6. Customers may not use any kind of program, script or command, or send messages of any kind, designed to interfere with another Internet service user’s terminal session, via any means, either locally or by the Internet.
7. Customers who are less than eighteen (18) years of age, must provide a notarized letter of consent signed by the Customer’s parent(s), pursuant to which the parent(s) assume all responsibility for all charges related to use of the Customer’s Geneseo.Net Internet services account.
8. Geneseo.Net may periodically add to, update or amend this Acceptable Use Policy. Any addition, update or amendment to this Acceptable Use Policy shall become effective immediately upon its posting at www.geneseo.net. Customers are responsible for regularly reviewing this Acceptable Use Policy at www.geneseo.net, and at all times complying with all of its terms and conditions, including any and all future additions, updates and/or amendments.
9. Customers who are disconnected by Geneseo.Net for failure to comply with this Acceptable Use Policy must pay a $15.00 reconnect fee before any Geneseo.Net Internet services may be restored. No reconnect fee will be assessed for disconnects due to idle time. Geneseo.Net may refuse to restore any disconnected Geneseo.Net Internet services in its sole discretion.
10. Geneseo.Net currently does not disconnect users after a specified duration of idle time. Geneseo.Net reserves the right to change its policy concerning disconnection due to idle time at any point.
11. Each Customer must defend, indemnify and hold Geneseo.Net and its affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agents harmless from any and all liabilities, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, related to any violation of this Acceptable Use Policy whether such violation is committed by the Customer or any other user of the Customer’s account, or in connection with any use of Geneseo.Net Internet services including without limitation the placement or transmission of any prohibited message, information, software or other material via the Internet by the Customer or any other user of the Customer’s account.
12. Geneseo.Net may terminate or suspend any Customer’s access to all or part of Geneseo.Net Internet services without notice if the Customer or any other user of the Customer’s account engages in any conduct or activities that Geneseo.Net, in its sole discretion, determines violates any term or condition of this Acceptable Use Policy. If Geneseo.Net terminates or suspends a Customer’s access to any Geneseo.Net Internet services due to any such violation, the Customer agrees that it has no right:
- to access any Geneseo.Net Internet service via any method;
- to receive any credits(s) whether or not otherwise due to the Customer (such credit(s) to be forfeited); or
- to any notification on the Customer’s behalf of any third party providers of services, merchandise or information (Geneseo.Net shall not be responsible for any costs or consequences resulting from lack of notice to such providers on behalf of the Customer).
13. While Geneseo.Net has no obligation to monitor the Customers’ use of Geneseo.Net Internet service in any way, Geneseo.Net may monitor the service from time to time and disclose information regarding Customers’ use of Geneseo.Net Internet service if required by any law, regulation, ordinance or subpoena issued by a duly authorized law enforcement agency, to operate the service properly, or to protect itself, its affiliates or its Customers.
INDIVIDUAL DIAL-UP ACCOUNTS
1. Geneseo.Net dial-up accounts are intended for use by individual Customers. Customers may not simultaneously log in to a single account from multiple computers.
2. Customers must secure their passwords. Good passwords should be a minimum of six characters long. Customers may not share passwords or accounts with other parties.
3. Customers must limit their online sessions to a reasonable amount of time. Customers may log on multiple times each day, but must periodically log off to allow other Customers the opportunity to access Geneseo.Net Internet services. If Customers require indefinite online sessions, dedicated services are available. Geneseo.Net reserves the right to terminate any connection longer than (8) consecutive hours.
4. Customers are responsible for all local or long-distance telephone charges associated with connection to Geneseo.Net Internet services. Customers are also responsible for Geneseo.Net’s current charges for all Internet access through their account, including but not limited to, registration fees, monthly fees, connection time charges, minimum recurring charges, applicable taxes and surcharges, and other charges incurred by the Customer or anyone using the Customer’s password or account. Geneseo.Net will bill Customer for all such fees and charges at the rates in effect for the billing period in which they are incurred.
5. Geneseo.Net may alter or modify rates applicable to Geneseo.Net Internet Service at any time.
6. Geneseo.Net Internet Service is provided on an “as is, as available” basis. GENESEO.NET MAKES NO EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR ENDORSEMENTS WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE) WITH REGARDING TO ANY MERCHANDISE, INFORMATION OR SERVICE PROVIDED THROUGH GENESEO.NET INTERNET SERVICE OR ON THE INTERNET GENERALLY, AND GENESEO.NET SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY COST OR DAMAGES ARISING EITHER DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY FROM ANY SUCH TRANSACTION. NEITHER GENESEO.NET NOR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR CONTRACTORS WARRANT THAT GENESEO.NET INTERNET SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE OR THAT ANY INFORMATION, SOFTWARE OR MATERIAL ACCESSIBLE VIA GENESEO.NET INTERNET SERVICE IS FREE OF VIRUSES, WORMS, TROJAN HORSES, OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL GENESEO.NET, ITS AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR CONTRACTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES THAT RESULT IN ANY WAY FROM A CUSTOMER’S USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE GENESEO.NET INTERNET SERVICE OR TO ACCESS THE INTERNET OR ANY PART THEREOF OR THAT RESULT FROM MISTAKES, ERRORS, OMISSIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, DELETIONS OF FILE, ERRORS, DEFECTS, DELAYS IN OPERATION, OR TRANSMISSION, OR ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE.
7. Geneseo.Net will make billing adjustments only if Geneseo.Net Internet services are down for three (3) or more consecutive days in any specific site. E-mail and personal web-pages are free services that are provided with dial-up accounts. No billing adjustments will be made for problems with e-mail or personal web-pages. Setup fees are nonrefundable.
8. Geneseo.Net allows for 5 MB of storage space for a personal, non-commercial, web-page. Customers may not sell any product or service, or display commercial advertising on a personal web-page. Customers may purchase additional storage space for personal web-pages by contacting Geneseo.Net. Geneseo.Net may decide, in its sole discretion, whether a Customer’s web-page constitutes a permitted personal, or a prohibited commercial web-page.
9. Customers may purchase storage space for commercial web pages from Geneseo.Net. Purchased commercial storage space may be used for advertising businesses, products, etc.
1. Customers may not use Geneseo.Net e-mail accounts for purposes of harassment, whether through language, frequency, or size of messages.
2. Customers may not send e-mail to any person who does not wish to receive it. If a recipient asks to stop receiving e-mail, the Customer must not send that person any further mail.
3. Customers may not send unsolicited bulk e-mail (“junk mail” or “spam”). This includes, but is not limited to, commercial advertising, miscellaneous informational announcements and political tracts. Customers may only send such materials to parties who have explicitly requested to receive them.
4. Customers may not forward or otherwise propagate chain letters, whether or not the recipient wishes to receive such letters.
5. Customers may not send malicious e-mail, including but not limited to “mailbombing” (flooding a user or site with very large or numerous pieces of e-mail).
6. Customers may not forge, or in any way manipulate header information in an effort to hide or misrepresent the sender of any e-mail.
7. Customers may not use Geneseo.Net e-mail accounts to collect replies to messages sent from another Internet Service Provider, where those messages violate this Acceptable Use Policy or the Acceptable Use Policy of the other Internet Service Provider.
8. Geneseo.Net allows for 5 MB of storage space in connection with Geneseo.Net e-mail accounts. Customers may purchase additional storage space by contacting Geneseo.Net.
9. E-mail retention policy: E-mail messages which are NOT removed from our server upon retrieval will be stored for a maximum of six months. Any e-mail message older than six months WILL be deleted without the possibility of retreival. If you utilize MyMail exclusively, you may setup additional mailboxes within the MyMail system. Messages you wish to KEEP should be moved from your Inbox to a different folder.